Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Migration steps
Current IT policy does not allow obsolete software and/or operating systems to be used on the campus network. (reference SI-3 1.1 https://it.tamu.edu/policy/it-policy/controls-catalog/controls/SI/SI-3/)
This document will assist customers on how to upgrade an existing older Windows operating system to Windows 10.
Windows 7 / 8.1 to Windows 10 Migration steps
1. If you do not have sufficient space in the C drive to run the migration install you will not see the upgrade option in the ZENworks menu.
A 50 GB minimum space is needed to even run a ZENworks upgrade migration. If you need to free up hard drive space please run the Disk Cleanup utility.
See KB article below for instructions on how to run it.
It is recommended to start this process about 1 hour before you leave for the day. You will need to complete through step 6 and see the screen in step 7 before you leave for the day.
2. Before you begin, please save your work and close any open applications or windows.
Now open ZENworks by left clicking the ZENworks icon on the task bar.
3. In the upper left corner you will see the Windows 10 Upgrade option, click on it and the icons will appear on the right. If the Upgrade option is not present, please contact the CVM ITS Helpdesk for assistance.
4. Click on the package and the migration will begin. Depending on the speed of the processor and the bandwidth in your location the process can be anywhere from 1 to 3 hour to complete.
5. You will now see the update window for Windows 10 pop up.
6. During this process you may get a pop up for an incompatible video card. Go ahead and click confirm as they will be updated once the install is complete.
7. The install will now begin and the PC will inform you that it will restart several times during this process.
8. The next prompt will advise you to not turn off the computer during the update.
9. Once the migration is complete you will have the new Windows 10 logon screen.
If for any reason your migration fails and reverts back to Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 please contact the CVM ITS Helpdesk for further assistance by using the CVM Asset Tag Utility to create a ticket. See article below.
If you have any issues with this knowledge base or article contact the CVM ITS Helpdesk at 979 862 4554 or write to us: email@example.com
|Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 Windows 10 Migration steps.docx||245 KB|
|Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 Windows 10 Migration steps.pdf||150 KB|
|windows 10 start.PNG||73 KB|
|Windows driver.PNG||95 KB|
|Zen icon.PNG||10 KB|
|Driver installer.PNG||13 KB|
|getting updates.PNG||108 KB|
|Progress bar.PNG||139 KB|
|Windows 10 icon.PNG||74 KB|
|10 status.PNG||19 KB|